Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesdayitis - notes for potential discrimination lawsuit.

I am still feeling crook so I called in sick today which I wasn't too pleased about, but i really need to look after myself and get better.

I just had a call from my boss asking me what's wrong. I told him I am sick. He was pushing me for more information and i told him that i realised I wasn't making a great first impression at a new job but i was genuinely sick and there wasn't much i could do about it. he went on to say something along the lines of, i don't mean to offend you, but i've worked with gay people in the past and I know that their big night out is sunday nights etc. I told him that i had told all my friends i wouldn't be seeing so much of them in the near future because i had to focus on my new job and couldn't afford to have late nights etc. Then he said "Isn't it your birthday today?". No its tomorrow. I realise it looks like i've been partying all weekend and now i'm recovering but i've been in bed all weekend sick. I went to Tori Amos on Friday night and have spent the rest of the weekend in bed. I even told Ian that my chest was feeling heavy on Friday afternoon. He went on to say that in the past they've had problems with gay employees or salesman (i can't remember which, i was dozing off to sleep after having a mersyndol) repeatedly having Mondays off. He asked me if i "got on it"? I do very rarely, but i don't live for it, i used to party a lot but i'm over it. I told him to ring my previous employers to check my attendance records, and to pass this information on to my director Meredith. At some point he had also told me that He told me that meredith had instructed him to give me my "marching orders", so he was ringing me to see what was going on.

I was quite upset by this phonecall so soon after I rang Meredith to talk to her directly. I told her I realise what it may look like, but i am genuinely sick and I am committed to this position. I told her I have really been looking forward to this job and I didn't want to spread illness around the office as I had reason to believe I had caught it off my housemate. She mentioned salesmen, or designers or someone who they had had problems with in the past chucking sickies on mondays. She implied that I should have at least gone in to the office to make an appearance and then go home. She seemed to absorb what I was saying but told me she would talk to me about it tomorrow.

So.. the dream job seems to be turning into a bit of a nightmare. It seems it was a mistake for me to come out to 2 of my colleagues on Friday, and tell them that I had planned to go to 2 parties over the weekend. This obviously translated as: drug fucked poofta cunt.

3 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger Canberrabiker said...

What a bummer ! So disappointing they sound prejudiced. I reckon you should go into work. Make sure you wheeze and cough all over the place. Lean over them at their desks. Show an inordinate amount of interest in what they're doing and invade their personal spaces. When they say you should go home, you should insist on staying.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cunts.

Happy 27th


X

Dimi

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Muzbot said...

Hmmmm... I mentioned this to my "lawyer friend" and he thinks you need to keep an eye on them. You actually may have a case, especially if they sack you now.

But on a side note, hope you've had a good week and are on the mend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home