Thursday, December 14, 2006

Soundgarden's Smelly Synchronicty

I regressed to grungerdom today. I listened to Soundgarden's Superunknown LP on the way to work and turned the volume up louder than my iPod has ever been. It's such a great album and Chris Cornell's voice is so sexy. The standout track for me on this album was always "The Day I Tried To Live" but my copy of the CD had a big scratch through that track so I haven't heard it for years and years. On Saturday I was lucky to pilfer it (and lots of other cool music) from Lloyd's iTunes library.

Its amazing how a song (or a smell) can take you back in time. The first track, "Let Me Drown" transported me back to when I was 14 listening to this album, rocking out (as Homer would say) at home, I reminisced about how simple life was back then. It didn't take me long to realise I was romanticising about my past and how much being a teenager sucked. Recently I listened to "Smash" by The Offspring and by the time I got to work I felt like something was missing, I later realised what was missing was a few "hits from the bong".

Just when I was really enjoying listening to "The Day I Tried To Live" I caught a smell in the air that took me back to my days at Alfred Johns. It instantly reminded me of getting caught singing that same song by Amy. Talk about synchronicity.


"The Day I Tried To Live"

I woke the same as any other day

Except a voice was in my head

It said seize the day, pull the trigger

Drop the blade, and watch the rolling heads


The day I tried to live

I stole a thousand beggars change

And gave it to the rich


The day I tried to win

I dangled from the power lines

And let the martyrs stretch

Singing


One more time around might do it

One more time around might make it

One more time around might do it

One more time around

The day I tried to live


Words you say never seem

To live up to the ones inside your head

The lives we make never seem

To ever get us anywhere but dead


The day I tried to live

I wallowed in the blood and mud with

All the other pigs


I woke the same as any other day you know

I should have stayed in bed


The day I tried to win

I wallowed in the blood and mud with

All the other pigs


And I learned that I was a liar

Just like you



Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Muzbot said...

"Words you say never seem
To live up to the ones inside your head"

Oh god I suffer from this daily, but not only the "words" in my head.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger wwwoof said...

Hmm - I listened to that soundtrack again after kookynut's post and it took me back to faraway places too! Some things remain good all the time. Looks like I will be flicking thru all my old vinyls this week!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger ycheekymonkey said...

YOU SKIPPY POOFTA GRUNGER....wanna go to top video and get 3 sticks for 50 off haz and we can go choofy choof GRUNGER!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger kookyknut said...

It's a kickarse song. Not really very uplifting, but I don't think Grunge was ever supposed to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home